marcatori archivi: ChemicalWarmers

Gli esperti avvertono i proprietari di cani di tenere gli scaldamani chimici lontano dagli animali domestici dopo che il cucciolo si è ammalato

Gli esperti avvertono i proprietari di cani di tenere gli scaldamani chimici lontano dagli animali domestici dopo che il cucciolo si è ammalato

Experts are warning pet owners about the dangers that some chemical hand warmers pose to animals after a puppy in Alaska fell ill last year from consuming one of the products.

A novembre 2020, Jaime Smith’s two children and their neighborhood friends ventured outside to play in the backyard with Buoy the puppy, whom the family had recently brought home, according to the Pet Poison Hotline. The kids went back inside briefly to have their mother help them open their hand warmer packages.

Soon after the group finished playing together, Smith ha detto, Buoy started to vomit. “It looked like black tar, but we could see remnants of the hand warmer package paper,” she said in a statement obtained by PEOPLE.

Our kids showed us their hand warmers in the trash can,” lei ha aggiunto, “so we suspected one of the neighbors had left theirs.

Smith’s fears were confirmed when the parent of a neighborhood child said their daughter had left two used hand warmers near the Smith home and when Smith found remnants of the product around her yard.

Apparently, Buoy had shredded them and ingested some of the contents,” the owner said in her statement. “As soon as we realized what had happened, we called Pet Poison Helpline.

Buoy’s family took him to PET Emergency Treatment in Anchorage, where tests revealeda large amount of iron productremained in his GI tract, including in the stomach and both intestines.

After spending the night in the hospital and being treated for a week, Buoy ultimately recovered.

It was really touch-and-go for a while,” ha detto Smith, “Given that they had no history with the dog because he was a puppy, they did an amazing job.

Non perdere mai una storia: iscriviti a LE PERSONEla newsletter quotidiana gratuita per essere sempre aggiornato sul meglio di ciò che le PERSONE hanno da offrire, da succose notizie sulle celebrità a avvincenti storie di interesse umano.

Dr. Ahna Brutlag, a board-certified veterinary toxicologist at Pet Poison Helpline, believes Buoywas very fortunatethat the Smiths took action when they did.

Hand warmers contain iron and ingestion may result in vomiting, GI ulceration, shock, cardiovascular compromise, and liver injury,” Brutlag said in the statement. “As soon as we identified the chemicals in the hand warmers they had used, we recommended they immediately take Buoy to the nearest emergency hospital.