Carole, 60, and husband Howard Baskin filed a complaint against the streaming giant last week, alleging breach of contract for featuring them in re tigre 2 and its promotional trailer — despite their refusal to participate in the upcoming project.
Secondo gli atti del tribunale, the Baskins claim the use of that footage for anything other than the initial documentary violates the release forms they signed prior to filming.
però, in new court documents obtained by PEOPLE on Monday, Netflix and production company Royal Goode Productions say the Baskins signed nine appearance releases and two location release agreements for re tigre in 2019, quale “explicitly permit Defendants to use the footage in later projects.”
The document states: “Defendants did not need to obtain a release from Plaintiffs to use the footage in re tigre 2 or its promotional trailers. And there is nothing in any of the appearance releases that proibisce any use of the footage. Di conseguenza, Plaintiffs have no claim at all, much less one that can evade Defendants’ First Amendment.”
Netflix already scored a win in the legal battle against the Baskins when a Florida judge denied their motion for a temporary restraining order that would block Netflix and Royal Goode Productions from featuring footage of them and their Big Cat Rescue sanctuary in the sequel.
The judge ruled that the Baskins “are not entitled to the extraordinary remedy of a temporary restraining order, which would be entered before Defendants have had an adequate opportunity to respond,” secondo documenti del tribunale.
“While the Court understands the Baskins’ frustration, it does not appear that inclusion of Defendants’ footage of the Baskins will cause any immediate harm that cannot be compensated with monetary damages,” the ruling stated.
Non perdere mai una storia: iscriviti a LE PERSONEla newsletter settimanale gratuita per ricevere le notizie più importanti della settimana nella tua casella di posta ogni venerdì.
In a previous statement to PEOPLE, Howard said he and Carole were suing Netflix and Royal Goode Productions because the companies “do not have the right to use any video or audio taken of us during their filming for re tigre: Omicidio, Mayhem and Madness.”
“We believe that [re tigre 1] mostrato [producers Eric Goode and Rebecca Chaiklin] to be devoid of ethics, integrity, and any concern for the welfare of big cats,” Lui continuò, aggiungendo: “We made it very clear to Goode and Chaiklin that we had no desire or intent to be involved in [re tigre 2].”
Howard said he and Carole were “scioccato” to see the footage used in the re tigre 2 trailer released last month.
“While we cannot stop Netflix and Royal Goode Productions from producing low-brow, salacious and sensational programing, we do believe that we have the right to control footage filmed of us under false pretenses,” la dichiarazione ha concluso. “We like to believe that most Americans will agree that we should be entitled to protect our reputations in this manner and hold entertainment giants to their word.”
A spokesperson for Netflix had no comment when contacted by PEOPLE.
VIDEO CORRELATO: re tigre‘s Joe Exotic Speaks Out After Not Receiving Pardon from Donald Trump
re tigre: Omicidio, Caos, e follia, che ha debuttato sul servizio di streaming a marzo 2020, captured the years-long feud between animal rights activist Carole and Joseph “Joe esotico” Maldonado-Passaggio, the now-imprisoned founder of an exotic animal park in Oklahoma. The show also touched on the disappearance of Carole’s late husband, Don Lewis, a millionaire and animal sanctuary owner.
nel frattempo, Carole has a two-part documentary special Carole Baskin’s Cage Fight, which premieres Nov. 13 alla scoperta+.