In court documents filed in federal court on Monday and obtained by PEOPLE, Carole and her husband Howard state that they declined to be involved with re tigre 2 when approached by the streamer and production company Royal Goode Productions.
Secondo la denuncia, the couple was contacted by producers Eric Goode and Rebecca Chaiklin to “clear the air” regarding Carole’s distaste for the first installment of the documentary and secure her participation in the sequel.
“Carole Baskin’s response was clear and unequivocal: 'No. And lose my number,’ ” the complaint reads.
Despite their refusal to take part in re tigre 2, a trailer for the upcoming sequel released in October “prominently depicts Baskin as a central element of the sequel” using footage that was captured during filming for the first re tigre documentary series, afferma la denuncia.
The use of that footage for anything other than the initial documentary violates the release forms that the Baskins signed prior to filming, secondo i documenti.
Carole and Howard are suing Netflix and Royal Goode Productions because the companies “do not have the right to use any video or audio taken of us during their filming for re tigre, Omicidio, Mayhem and Madness,” Howard wrote in a statement to PEOPLE on Monday.
“We believe that [re tigre 1] showed Goode and Chaiklin to be devoid of ethics, integrity, and any concern for the welfare of big cats,” Lui continuò, aggiungendo: “We made it very clear to Goode and Chaiklin that we had no desire or intent to be involved in [re tigre 2].”
Howard said he and Carole were “scioccato” to see the footage used in the re tigre 2 trailer released last month.
“While we cannot stop Netflix and Royal Goode Productions from producing low-brow, salacious and sensational programing, we do believe that we have the right to control footage filmed of us under false pretenses,” la dichiarazione ha concluso. “We like to believe that most Americans will agree that we should be entitled to protect our reputations in this manner and hold entertainment giants to their word.”
Quando raggiunto da PERSONE, a spokesperson for Netflix had no comment.
re tigre: Omicidio, Caos, e follia, che ha debuttato sul servizio di streaming a marzo 2020, captured the years-long feud between 60-year-old animal rights activist Carole and Joseph “Joe esotico” Maldonado-Passaggio, the now-imprisoned founder of an exotic animal park in Oklahoma. The show also touched on the disappearance of Carole’s late husband, Don Lewis — a millionaire and animal sanctuary owner.
Maldonado-Passaggio, 58, is currently serving a 22-year sentence in FMC Fort Worth in Texas for various crimes, incluso il pagamento di Allen Glover $3,000 to kill Carole and for killing tigers to make room for more big cats at his park.
“I don’t know how they put out a re tigre 2 when Joe Schreibvogel’s [aka Joe Exotic] in jail and I’m refusing to be played again,” lei disse. “Rebecca Chaiklin said she wanted to ‘clear the air’ about what they did to me in re tigre. I told her to lose my number. There is no explanation for such a betrayal and false portrayal.”