A High Court judge in London paved the way for Harry to take his libel claim to trial when he ruled on Friday that a Posta la domenica article about the royal’s legal battle with the British government over his police protection in the country was defamatory.
The Duke of Sussex, 37, is suing Associated Newspapers for libel over an article that alleged he tried to keep the details of his legal fight to reinstate his police protection in the U.K. segreto, and that his aides had then tried to put a positive spin on it.
The article, published online and in print in February, was titled: “How Harry tried to keep his legal fight over bodyguards secret … then minutes after MoS broke story his PR machine tried to put positive spin on the dispute.”
Secondo i documenti del tribunale ottenuti da PERSONE, Justice Nicklin found that parts of the article in the claim were defamatory. Nicklin said the article “as a whole” did not suggest that Harry “was seeking to keep his ‘legal battle’ with the Government secret,” but it was suggested by the headline if “read alone.”
Di giovedì, il principe harry‘s lawyers asked the High Court to grant permission for a judicial review against a Home Office decision preventing him from personally funding police protection for himself and his family while in the U.K. His legal team told the High Court in London that Harry “does not feel safe” bringing his two children to the U.K. after the loss of his taxpayer-funded police protection and the level of security intelligence with it.
Il Posta la domenica article in question claimed that Prince Harry tried to hide litigation against the British Home Office regarding the security issue and claimed that he did not offer to fund his protection during a U.K. visit in June 2021 to unveil a statue of his late mother, principessa Diana.
Judge Nicklin reiterated that the ruling was “very much the first phase in a libel claim.”
“The next step will be for the defendant to file a defence to the claim,” Egli ha detto. “It will be a matter for determination later in the proceedings whether the claim succeeds or fails, and if so on what basis.”
Meghan Markle previously received a symbolic £1 ($1.36) in damages from the Posta la domenica dopo successfully winning her legal case against the paper for publishing a personal letter she sent to her father in 2018.
Inoltre, the U.K. newspaper will pay an unspecified sum for the separate case of infringing Meghan’s copyright by publishing parts of the five-page letter she wrote to her father shortly after her royal wedding to il principe harry in 2018, secondo i documenti del tribunale ottenuti da PERSONE. The unspecified sum will be donated to charity. The symbolic £1 was awarded for her privacy claim.
In a statement on Dec. 2 following the ruling, the Duchess of Sussex said, “Questa è una vittoria non solo per me, but for anyone who has ever felt scared to stand up for what’s right.”
She noted, “Anche se questa vittoria è un'impostazione precedente, ciò che conta di più è che ora siamo collettivamente abbastanza coraggiosi da rimodellare un'industria dei tabloid che condiziona le persone a essere crudeli, and profits from the lies and pain that they create.”
il principe harry, 37, e Meghan, 40, have also sued photographers after images surfaced of their son Archie playing in the backyard of their former Los Angeles home.
In 2019, Harry filed a legal claim against News UK (owner of Il Sole) and MGN (former owner of Lo specchio) regarding the alleged illegal interception of voicemail messages.
“Every individual and family member in California is guaranteed by law the right to privacy in their home. No drones, helicopters or telephoto lenses can take away that right,” their attorney, Michael Kump of Kinsella Weitzman Iser Kump & Aldisert LLP, detto in una dichiarazione. “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are filing this lawsuit to protect their young son’s right to privacy in their home without intrusion by photographers, and to uncover and stop those who seek to profit from these illegal actions.”